The release of Cyberpunk 2077 was accompanied by numerous problems. Not only was the version virtually unplayable for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One but there were also numerous problems in the form of bugs on the PC. The CD Projekt Red team has now officially commented on the situation.
The studio not only published a detailed blog post about the state of the game, but also a video of about five minutes that you can see at the beginning of the news. In it, Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of the developer studio, turns to the players and apologizes.
However, the focus is very much on the last-gen version. The deleted content such as the subway is not discussed. So it is currently unclear whether the features you want will make it into the game. The AI problems criticized by some players are also not addressed.
What’s next for Cyberpunk 2077?
The team uses a graphic to show the current plan for how the development of the game will now continue. After three hotfixes were released with updates 1.04, 1.05, and 1.06 at the end of 2020, the bug fixes will continue until 2022.
When are the patches coming? The next patch is not called 1.07, but follows a different way of counting: It continues with Update 1.1. That will appear within the next ten days, i.e. until January 24th, 2021. Update 1.2 is planned for the weeks after that and will be much more extensive. Further updates and improvements will follow later.
What about the free DLC? The free DLCs should not appear until the biggest bugs have been fixed. The situation is similar with the upgrade from the last-gen version to the next-gen version for console gamers. This is currently planned for the second half of 2021.
How did the problems come about?
In an extensive FAQ , the team goes into further questions, in which they mainly address the reasons for the problems with the last-gen version. We summarize the answers here.
- Where do the differences between PC and Last-Gen come from? The team says they underestimated the effort involved in developing the console version. The focus was always on the PC version, but adjustments were made for the console version.
- What was the biggest problem with the consoles? According to the developer, the adaptation of the in-game streaming was the biggest hurdle in the development of the console versions. The speed of the hard drives on the old consoles was a particular problem here.
- Has the last-gen version not been tested? Here the studio explains that tests were indeed carried out, but that the problems did not arise with them. According to their own statements, they were firmly convinced that the Day 0 patch was a good product.
- Why did the console reviews come later than the PC reviews? While the review codes for the PC version were sent out in the first week of December, those for the consoles were not sent until December 8th, and thus later than planned.
- Is there any crunch for the patches? The team should work according to CDPR without forced overtime. You explain that you want to avoid the crunch.
- When is the game coming back to the Playstation Store? There is no exact date yet.
- What about the refund campaign? The first wave of refunds has already been sent.