Der Anfang is the title that receives the first experience of the Zombies mode available at the launch of Call of Duty: Vanguard. One of the most iconic modes of the Activision saga returns once again and, this time, it does so with World War II and the Nazis as a backdrop.
In this entry of our guide, we are going to show you all the secrets that are hidden in Der Anfang, what its characteristics are, and the best tips and tricks so that you can survive its intense games.
Der Anfang objective types and how to complete them
Der Anfang games have a fairly simple structure and are easy to understand when you play a few minutes. Just in case, let’s go over its mechanics and objectives below. Basically, in Der Anfang, we show up in Stalingrad Fountain Square, which would be like our central “base” from which to operate.
In this square we have access to different useful resources, while a few hours of zombies try to attack us and, most important of all, you will see several mystical portals of reddish color in the area. Each of these portals is assigned a different objective. There are up to 3 types of lenses available:
- Objective – Blitz: in this objective, you have to survive for a certain time in an area while waves of zombies do not stop appearing (as a tip, do not lose sight of the red dots on the minimap so that the zombies from different positions do not catch you off guard) .
- Objective – Harvest: in this objective, you have to kill zombies and collect runestones that they drop when they die. These stones must be carried and delivered to an obelisk. When you deliver enough, the position of the obelisk changes and you must repeat the process two more times (look at the star on the minimap to see where the obelisk is moving).
- Objective – Transmission: in this objective, the mission is to protect a floating zombie skull that is moving little by little on the map. You’ll have to stay within range of the skull until a bar is completed, all while zombies keep spawning.
As you complete these objectives, the areas of the plaza are unlocked to expand the map a little more and more and turn the zombies into even tougher and more challenging enemies. In the same way, additionally, you can also access better advantages.
The artifacts of Der Anfang
The artifacts in the Zombies Der Anfang mode of Call of Duty: Vanguard is unique advantages that we can select in our weapons when playing the games. To give you an idea, they work similar to the field improvements of multiplayer modes, that is, they are tools that have a certain recharge time and that allow us to activate a specific skill.
In this case, we have 4 artifacts available, and each of them does something different. These are its characteristics :
- Energy Mine: The Saraxis Dragon generates an ether explosive that deals massive damage to enemies who activate it.
- Aether Veil: Bellekar’s mask takes you into the dark aether and masks your presence from enemies for 5 seconds.
- Ring of Fire: Inviktor’s sword produces a ring of ether fire that increases the damage of everyone within. Lasts 15 seconds.
- Icy Detonation: Norticus’s horn summons an icy vortex that damages enemies with the initial detonation and slows those who enter it.
Remember that at any time during the game you can access your weapons and choose one of these four artifacts. They are all very useful, so it is recommended that you choose the one that best suits you and do not forget to use it every time it is available (you can see its icon in the lower right part of the screen, above your lethal and tactical equipment). On more than one occasion they can save your life, especially when the zombie hours get really difficult.
How to get hearts and use the Altar of Covenants?
In Der Anfang mode, for each objective that you manage to complete successfully, you will earn a sacrificial heart. These hearts are used in the Altar of the Pacts, which is in the central square of the Fountain. There is no other way to win hearts nor can you win more than once, so keep that in mind; only one for each objective completed.
At the Altar of Covenants, we can activate up to a maximum of 3 covenants at the same time. These pacts function as passive abilities during the game, and each time you complete an objective the pacts are available on the altar very randomly. That is, you can never see their full list of pacts (and it is always different for each player).
As you complete rounds in Der Anfang, there is an increasing chance that rarer and better bonuses will appear available pacts, which will also cost more hearts. Remember to activate the ones that benefit you the most as soon as you can because they are an excellent way to have an advantage against zombies.
All types of Altar covenants
There are a total of 11 different pacts (remember that they can appear at different levels of rarity). The pacts and their effects are as follows:
- Unholy Terrain: Deals more damage when shooting while immobile.
- Mother Lode: Small chance to keep gear after using it.
- Deadly Accuracy: Successive hits on the same enemy deal more damage.
- Ammo Stack: Ammo in stored weapons is slowly replenished from the reserve.
- Bloodlust: Melee attacks deal more damage and heal you.
- Cryo Freeze – Chance to slow a normal enemy with shots.
- Explosive Party: Enemies killed by explosions have a chance to explode.
- Deter. cerebral: chance to convert a normal enemy with shots.
- Resurrectionist – Revive allies faster.
- Eliminate the Weak: Deal more damage to slowed or stunned enemies.
- Death Strike: Critical kills have a chance to return ammo to your magazine.
All sources of rituals and their advantages
The Rituals and Perks system in Vanguard’s Zombies mode has been slightly changed in this installment. While we play the game we can obtain these rituals directly from the pedestals of the fountains, which are distributed in different areas of Stalingrad and the square.
If you want to know exactly what the advantages of the rituals are and where they are, you can take a look at the guide that we have dedicated exclusively to this section of the Zombies mode:
- Malignant Fortress: Increases Health.
- Demonic Frenzy: Increase reloads speed.
- Fiendish Damage: Increases Critical Damage.
- Poisonous Vigor: Increase regeneration speed.
- Ether Haste: Increases movement speed.
Enhancer machine and creation table
The potentiating machine of Zombies mode of Call of Duty: Vanguard has received a different upgrade to past deliveries. It is now available from the beginning of the game and, as always, it works to improve the damage and attributes of your weapon. This is vital in order to survive longer, and upgrading the weapon should be one of your priorities.
Of course, the improvements of the machine have a cost in essence (the resource that the zombies release when they die). These are the prices of the three levels of improvement of the machine:
- Weapon upgrade level 1: costs 7500 essences.
- Weapon upgrade level 2: costs 15,000 essences.
- Weapon upgrade level 3: costs 30,000 essences.
On the other hand, remember that you also have the creation table available in the Plaza de la Fuente, where you can create objects such as armor, lethal and tactical equipment, and more. These creations cost scraps (another resource obtained by killing zombies) and their prices range from 250 to 3,000. If you’re lacking something, it can sometimes be a good idea to create it before you hit a new goal.
The best tips and tricks to survive in Der Anfang
After reviewing the core mechanics of Zombies Der Anfang mode and its features, it’s time to give you some of the best tips and tricks to keep in mind to survive longer in your games. Thus, to summarize in general the strengths and do not forget anything.
Take a look below and take good note of our recommendations:
- Go to the southwest portal first – if you want to get a health upgrade soon, complete this objective first of all, so you will have access to the source of Evil Fortress.
- Complete Blitz Objectives First – This one is easier to complete during the initial rounds, especially if you’re playing solo.
- Destroy Red Crystals – To obtain valuable resources, equipment, and more. They are scattered throughout the Plaza de la Fuente and even appear on the minimap marked with the icon of some pointed crystals.
- Open Chests: As with crystals, you will also find small chests throughout the square containing valuable equipment and resources. They are marked with their own icon on the minimap. Feel free to look for them and open them if you have them on hand.
- After Each Round (Objective): Visit the Altar of Covenants to see which ones are available and if any suits you better than the ones you already have.
- Try to open the mysterious chest: which is in the central square. This chest will give you a random weapon each time you pay the required amount of points. Sometimes he can surprise you with a really valuable weapon of a higher rarity, which can come already equipped with upgrades from the Boost Machine.
- Prioritize Your Weapon Upgrading – Feel free to save and spend your Essence as much as possible on the Boost Machine to upgrade your weapon damage.
- Assault Rifles and Shotguns: These are two of the best categories of weapons you can use in Zombies mode to take down hordes left and right.
- Buy the First Quick Armor: On the Crafting Table, this first Armor costs 750 scraps. Save this amount and spend it first to acquire this upgrade as it is one of the most useful.
- Activate all Ritual Perks: Activate at least the first Perk upgrade, as it is always free.
- Clear the central plaza after each objective: returning to the plaza from the portals will spawn multiple groups of Zombies each time. Killing them is a great way to accumulate Essence and other resources before continuing to play more rounds.
- Always aim for the head: this is obviously a critical hit zone where you do much more damage, allowing you to take down zombies faster and using less ammo.
- Try not to die: if you fall to the ground, your companions can still pick you up in time. But if this happens, keep in mind that each time it happens you will lose a level of your ritual enhancements, which is very annoying and takes you back a lot. Watch your movements well so that it does not happen to you.
- Try to play with the full team: of course, the more players there are in the game, the easier it will be to survive. Invite your friends or join a clan and wax those damn zombies.
How to perform the extraction?
You can actually play Der Anfang “infinitely” until you can no longer survive. You can complete objectives one after another that the zombies will not stop appearing and each time they will be stronger. But, you can also perform an extraction to get out of the mode alive.
From the fourth round onwards, that is, when you have completed at least a total of four objectives (four portals), a portal with the title “Extraction” will appear in the center of the Fountain Square. This is the way to get out alive by completing the game.
- When you’re ready to finish and want to get out of Der Anfang without dying, go to the extraction portal and activate it.
- Then the extraction will begin for you and all your companions.
- From that moment on, you will have to kill a certain number of zombies in order to open the portal of the rift that allows you to successfully exit (the number of zombies to be defeated appears below your minimap).
- When you have defeated all the indicated zombies, the extraction portal will appear at some random point on the map.
- You will have 30 seconds to reach the extraction portal, so rush towards it without missing a beat.
If you are successful in the extraction you will be able to gain some additional experience points .
Does Der Anfang have easter eggs?
It is very common for Call of Duty Zombies modes to hide an Easter egg for players to discover. However, unfortunately, Der Anfang does not have any Easter eggs available that can be completed (at least in its initial release).
Activision has subsequently promised the Call of Duty Vanguard Zombies will receive Easter eggs, predictably from December 2021, with the official launch of the first season of the game.